Designer Selection Process
The MSBA Designer Selection Panel (DSP) has jurisdiction over the procurement of designers in connection with cities, towns, regional school districts, and independent agricultural and technical schools seeking funding from the MSBA for public school construction projects whose estimated construction cost is anticipated to be $5,000,000 or greater. The DSP designer selection process incorporates the procedures required by the General Laws of Massachusetts pertaining to designer services for public building construction (Chapter 7C, Section 44, et seq.).
Please note: The DSP is now providing districts that have school projects with estimated construction costs that are anticipated to be less than $5,000,000 with the opportunity to go through the MSBA Designer Selection Panel process to select a designer. Districts should contact Marie Deslauriers at 617.720.4466 for more information.
|*2015 Designer Selection Panel
|*Please note that this schedule is subject to change. The MSBA advises interested attendees to check back here or contact us to confirm the date of a specific meeting.|
The goals of the DSP are:
- high quality design services for public building projects;
- application of consistent procedures in the procurement of the design services;
- broad-based participation of all qualified design consultants; and
- integrity and transparency of the process for procurement of design services.
The DSP is made up of 13 appointed members and three representatives of the local city, town or regional school district who are selected by the District on a project-by-project basis. The three members who are representatives of the respective city, town or regional school district for the specific project under consideration includes one member designated by the school committee, the superintendent of schools or his/her designee and the chief executive officer of the city or town or his/her designee.
The 13 appointed members are recruited from recommended candidates of the Boston Society of Architects (BSA), the American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts (ACEC) and the Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts (the AGC) as well as MSBA staff, independent design and construction professionals.
Meetings are held at the MSBA offices in Boston and are always open to the public. (To encourage discussion, however, competitors are asked to voluntarily leave the room when designer candidates are being interviewed by the DSP for specific projects.)
The next* meeting of the DSP is scheduled for Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 8:30 a.m.
- *Please note, the August 4, 2015 meeting has been canceled.
- (Printable) 2015 DSP Meeting Schedule
- DSP Meeting Results
Designer RFS Template (Word)
Master File Brochure Form - Updated February 2011
- Standard Designer Application Form for Municipalities and Public Agencies not within the DSB Jurisdiction – Updated May 2014
Designer Services Base Contract for Design/Bid/Build and CM-at- Risk, Revised February 25, 2011
- MCPPO Certification
Information on the Designer Roundtable
- Firms interested in providing designer services for Massachusetts K-12 public school projects funded through the MBSA are invited to present their qualifications to the Designer Selection Panel in a non-project-specific informational interview. These interviews are not mandatory but are offered as an opportunity for designers to introduce themselves to the DSP and present information about their overall qualifications, experience and approach. Firms will be provided approximately 15 minutes for their presentations followed by a 15 minute period of questions and answers led by DSP members. Please contact Marie Deslauriers (617.720.4466) for additional information and to request an interview.
- If you have any questions about the Designer Selection Panel, please contact Marie Deslauriers (617.720.4466) at the Massachusetts School Building Authority.
- All DSP meetings are held at the MSBA Offices located at 40 Broad Street, 5th Floor, unless otherwise noted.